The Texas School Coalition is an organization of public school districts, and we reflect the diversity that is Texas. We are large, small, and mid-size. We are urban, rural, and suburban. We are growing, declining, and stable in enrollment. Our students and parents reflect the ethnic and economic diversity of all families in Texas. They have the same talents and dreams of all Texans. We are committed to the success of public education for ALL students in Texas. In doing so, we will strive to find common ground with other education advocacy groups.
The mission of the Texas School Coalition is to advocate for high standards of learning for every student in Texas; for a balanced partnership of local, state, and federal interests in public schools; for meaningful discretion of local boards over local funds for our public schools; and for investment in public schools as a foundation to our economic prosperity and preservation of our democracy.
Objectives for the 2015 Legislative Session
Secure suitable funding for public schools
- Guarantee per-student funding for each school district to at least 2010 levels.
- Reduce Robin Hood’s impact by increasing the State’s investment in education thereby keeping local dollars in local communities; create more “golden pennies” or raise the Basic Allotment and therefore the Equalized Wealth Level.
- Protect the promise of Additional State Aid for Tax Reduction (ASATR) until another funding source is put in place to ensure that no school receives less revenue.
- Provide resources necessary to achieve reasonable state standards and expectations for college and career readiness.
- Continue state assistance for new Teacher Retirement System (TRS) required contributions until such a time when adequate funding is provided by the school finance formulas.
Ensure the funding for public schools remains with public schools
- Oppose vouchers or any measure that would divert money away from public schools.
Provide local control for locally collected revenue
- Support measures that empower locally-elected school boards with authority over local tax rates and revenue for the purpose of enrichment.
- Increase flexibility for innovation and choices within public school districts.
Long-term legislative goals:
- Advance a strong commitment from state leaders to public schools that fulfills constitutional requirements and their obligation to the children of Texas.
- Create a funding system for public schools that provides suitable provision of resources, capacity for growth, and meaningful discretion for local districts.
- Provide and protect the right of local boards to have meaningful discretion in their decisions and actions, including the retention of local funds that meet the needs of each district.
- Support an open, transparent legislative process in which school leaders can be engaged in the discussion and formulation of future policy decisions.
To download a PDF document stating these goals and objectives, please click here.